What is Synvisc Injection?
Synvisc is an elastic and viscous substance made from hyaluronan which is found in normal joint fluid. Synvisc is one of the hyaluronates used in viscosupplementation.
Synvisc is injected directly into the knee joint to restore the cushioning and lubricating properties of normal joint fluid. Synvisc injections are approved for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee in those who have failed to respond to more conservative therapy. Use for other joints is being investigated.
Fast Facts About Synvisc Injections:
• Viscosupplementation has been studied for osteoarthritis treatment since the 1970s.
• Synvisc was FDA approved on 08/08/97.
• Synvisc injections are typically given once a week, 7 days apart, over a 15-day period, for a total of three injections.
• To get the best results, diseased osteoarthritic synovial fluid is typically removed from the knee before the first injection.
• Synvisc is considered a treatment or therapy, not a drug.
Directions For Use
SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) is administered by intra-articular injection once a week (one week apart) for a total of three injections.
Precaution: Do not use SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) if the package has been opened or damaged. Store in original packaging (protected from light) at room temperature below 86°F (30°C).DO NOT FREEZE.
Precaution: The syringe containing SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) is intended for single use. The contents of the syringe must be used immediately after the syringe has been removed from its packaging.
Precaution: Do not concomitantly use disinfectants containing quaternary ammonium salts for skin preparation because hyaluronan can precipitate in their presence.
SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) is administered by intra-articular injection once a week (one week apart) for a total of three injections. Strict aseptic administration technique must be followed.
• Using an 18- to 22-gauge needle, remove synovial fluid or effusion before each SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) injection.
• Do not use the same syringe for removing synovial fluid and for injecting SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) however the same 18- to 22-gauge needle should be used.
• Twist the tip cap before pulling it off, as this will minimize product leakage.
• To ensure a tight seal and prevent leakage during administration, secure the needle tightly while firmly holding the luer hub.
Precaution: Do not over tighten or apply excessive leverage when attaching the needle or removing the needle guard, as this may break the syringe tip.
Inject the full 2 mL in one knee only.
Synovial Problems – Removal of Inflamed Synovium